NASA astronauts LoralO’Hara and Jasmin Moghbeli are listed to conduct the 4th All-Female Spacewalk in history on Wednesday November 1, 2023 at 805 am EDT( 1205 GMT). The spacewalk is the share of a series of spacewalks to elevate the International Space Station’s power system . This spacewalk is 7 hours long and astronauts will change an electronic box which is The Radio Frequency box.
The oncoming spacewalk is also part of a well known series of spacewalks to change the International Space Station’s power system. O’Hara and Moghbeli will be the first female astronauts to execute spacewalks from the International Space Station’s U.S. segment with another woman. O’Hara is also the first woman astronaut to do a spacewalk from the International Space Station’s Quest airlock. Moghbeli will be the first Iranian- American astronaut to perform a spacewalk.
Table of Contents
The importance of NASA All-Female Spacewalks:
All-female spacewalks are momentous because they show the advancement that women have made in the space program and the significance of diversity and addition in STEM fields. For too long, the space program was overpowered by men. Still, in recent times, there has been a growing number of women working in the space program, including astronauts, engineers, and scientists. All-female spacewalks also send important communication to youthful girls and women around the world. They show that it’s feasible for women to achieve their dreams, no matter how challenging they may feel.
What is the diversity and inclusion in STEM fields :
Diversity and Inclusion are major in the space program for multiple reasons.
- 1st, they help to insure that the space program is suitable to retain and hold the best and brightest head.
- 2nd, they help to insure that the space program is suitable to solve problems in a more innovative and effective way.
- 3rd, they help to assure that the space program is competent to more represent the variety of the world’s population.
The details of the oncoming spacewalk:
The forthcoming all-female spacewalk is listed to hold up around seven hours. The astronauts will take off an electronics box called the Radio Frequency Group that was part of a dispatched antenna system. They will also install a new antenna system.
Some Unknown interesting facts of Spacewalk:
- LoralO’Hara is a former Navy flight officer who has registered over 3,000 flight hours in more than 30 different aircraft. She graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Jasmin Moghbeli is a former NASA engineer who worked on the development of the Orion spacecraft and the Space Launch System. She’s also one of the graduates of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Maryland, College Park.
- The oncoming spacewalk will be the 259th spacewalk that will support the International Space Station’s assembly, service, and upgradation.
Links to other resources:
NASA’s website: https://www.nasa.gov/
International Space Station website: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html
See this Live on: https://www.youtube.com/live/q6xAOtRUbtk?si=iIO7YkTvQu4dms1J
This oncoming All-Female Spacewalk on Nov 1 is major event for NASA. It gives statement of progress from all the women which are in this Space Program and the importance of diversity and inclusion in space program. It is also important for servicing and upgradation of International Space Station’s Power System.
- The spacewalk will be live on NASA’s website and social media.
- The spacewalk will be supported by a platoon of astronauts and engineers on the ground.
- The astronauts will be wearing special suits and outfits to cover them from the harsh atmosphere of space.
- The spacewalk will be a complex and demanding operation, but the astronauts are well- trained and prepared.
I hope that these facts are useful to you. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for Reading !!