Following Friday’s twin terrorist attacks that killed 65 people, Pakistan’s Army Chief General Syed Asim Munir pledged to eradicate terrorism from the nation by “unabated” military operations against terrorists
After twin terrorist attacks, the Pak Army Chief says the nation will eliminate the threat of terrorism. The commander of Pakistan’s armed forces claimed that these terrorists are not driven by ideology or religion.
An official reported that a horrific suicide attack that took place on Friday in Balochistan targeted a procession to honour the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad close to the Madina Masjid in Mastung and left 60 people dead and more than 60 wounded.
Five people were killed and 12 injured in the second bomb explosion in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Hangu, which was directed at a mosque that belonged to a police station. The mosque’s roof fell as a result of the explosion’s impact.
Chief Of Army’s response to the Terrorist attacks
According to a statement released by the Army’s media wing on Saturday night, the Chief of Army Staff visited Quetta on Saturday and was given a briefing on recent terrorist incidents. Munir said that the attacks were being carried out with the “backing of state sponsors of terrorism” by heretics who had no connection to Islam.
The head of the Army said, “These forces of evil will continue to face the full might of the state and security forces backed by a resilient nation.” The Armed Forces, Intelligence, and Law Enforcement Agencies must not rest until the threat of terrorism is wiped out of the country. Our operation against terrorists will continue unabated. The restricted Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which has carried out some of the worst strikes in Pakistan, denied any participation in the incident in Balochistan so far.
As this took place, a study from a think tank revealed that Pakistan’s security services had suffered their worst number of fatalities in eight years, with at least 386 people dying in the first nine months of 2023.
FIR registered for the Mustang Attack
The Mastung occurrence, which killed 55 people, including a police officer, has been reported, according to the Balochistan Counter Terrorism Department (CTD).
The CTD said in a statement that a FIR containing murder and terrorist charges against an unnamed attacker had been registered.
It further stated that the event was still under investigation and that nobody has been placed in custody.
According to the CTD, the fatal incident claimed at least 55 lives and wounded more than 60 individuals.
Today, the Balochistan Assembly, Chief Minister House, Governor House, and Balochistan High Court had their national flags lowered to half-mast.
The injured patients are currently receiving treatment at a number of facilities, including the Civil Hospital, Trauma Centre, Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Nawab Ghaus Bakhsh Raisani Hospital, and Mastung District Headquarters (DHQ), according to a statement released by the province administration.
United Nations Response to the attacks
Antonio Guterres, the secretary-general of the UN, denounced the terrorist acts and called for the prosecution of those responsible.
He commented on the social networking platform X (formerly Twitter) stating that It is terrible that these attacks targeted individuals during serene, religious ceremonies
His spokesperson Stephane Dujarric also criticized the terrorist strikes when speaking at the regular briefing at UN Headquarters in New York, according to state-run Radio Pakistan.
Additionally, Ferit Hoxha, the president of the UN Security Council, condemned the terrorist assaults in a press statement.
The UNSC members emphasized the need to hold those responsible for these horrific terrorist crimes accountable and bring them to justice, according to the statement.
In accordance with their duties under international law as well as UNSC resolutions, the members were stated in the report asking other governments to fully assist Pakistan and all other relevant authorities in this regard.